Zesty Firecracker Duck Wings from Carthay Circle Restaurant and Lounge at Disney California Adventure Park
A taste of creative California cuisine, these kicky Firecracker Duck Wings take some time, but the final taste is worth the effort. Chef Gloria Tae from Carthay Circle Restaurant and Lounge at Disney California Adventure park shows us start to finish how the restaurant creates the appealing dish, and the recipe below takes you through step-by-step to make your own at home.
The recipe works well with chicken wings, too – Carthay Circle Restaurant and Lounge uses duck for something a little different, says Chef Gloria. With braising, then frying in a light tempura batter, these wings soar to new heights.
Fire Cracker Duck Wings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 orange, zested (no white pith) and chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup celery, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 lemongrass stalks, tops and root-end trimmed and crushed with back of knife to release flavor
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 red jalapeño peppers, cut in half lengthwise
- 4-5 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Coarse salt and pepper to taste
- 25 duck wings, tips removed and cut in half at joint
- 2 cups flour
- 3 cups cold seltzer water
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, more if needed
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Sriracha hot chili sauce
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Place oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add orange zest toast for 3 to 4 minutes. Add onion, carrots, and celery, stirring until slightly caramelized. Add brown sugar and vinegar and reduce by half, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add lemongrass, ginger, garlic, jalapeños, lime leaves, and soy sauce. Reduce by half, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and add cilantro. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Place duck wings in a single layer in large roasting pan. (Two pans might be needed depending on number of wings and size.) Pour liquid over wings, making sure meat is completely covered.
- Cover pan with foil. Braise for 1 1/2 hours; check for tenderness and cook longer if necessary.
- Remove wings from braising liquid and place in separate pan. Strain braising liquid, then pour over wings. Refrigerate until cooled.
For tempura batter:
- Mix together flour, seltzer water, and coarse salt. Refrigerate until tread to use.
- Reserve cornstarch for dredging wings.
For wing sauce:
- Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat.
- Add soy sauce and Sriracha, mixing thoroughly. Set aside and keep warm.
- Pat wings dry. Dredge in tempura batter, then roll in small amount of cornstarch. Add more cornstarch if necessary.
- Prepare deep fryer, including oil amount, according to machine instructions. Place coated wings one by one directly into fryer, with basket submerged in oil. Lift basket and shake occasionally to make sure wings don’t stick together. Fry until crispy, watching closely so as not to overcook. Remove from fryer and toss wings with warm sauce. Squeeze fresh lime over wings and keep warm until all wings are cooked.
- Serve immediately.
Latest posts by Jennifer (see all)
- SeaWorld Team Assists with Rescue of Ten Manatees Stranded in South Carolina - December 11, 2017
- Portable North Pole 2017 Discount - November 29, 2017
- Holiday Discounts At Disney Springs Hotels - November 1, 2017
Sign up for my mailing list and get a FREE eBook
5 Steps to Book your Disney World Vacation9