Earlier this year, we shared on the Disney Parks Blog the story of eight sea turtles, rescued from New England beaches during a cold spell and suffering from hypothermia. Well, I’m thrilled to report that last week, after receiving care at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and The Seas with Nemo & Friends at Epcot, four of the turtles were returned to their home in the sea, with the other four expected to follow soon.
Disney and other rehabilitation centers came to the aid of the New England Aquarium, whose sea turtle hospital had reached capacity. Our animal care team took in eight Kemp’s Ridley sea turtles, one of the most endangered species of sea turtles in the world. The team focused on increasing the turtles’ body weight so they could regain their strength to swim in the open ocean.
Under direction from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, the turtles were released back to the ocean at the Canaveral National Seashore here in Florida. We hope you’ll enjoy the video of the turtles heading back to the sea!
In addition to rehabilitating sea turtles, Disney is helping through the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund, which has directed more than $1.1 million to sea turtle conservation efforts.
Check out below for more posts from our “Wildlife Wednesdays” series:
- Wildlife Wednesdays: Sea Turtles Ill from the Cold Recovering at The Seas with Nemo & Friends at Epcot
- Wildlife Wednesdays: Saddle-Billed Stork Has First Chick; White-Cheeked Gibbon Expands Family with New Addition at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Wildlife Wednesdays: Spring Forward to Help Frogs at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
Wildlife Wednesdays: Rescued Sea Turtles, Cared for at The Seas with Nemo & Friends at Epcot, Return to the Sea by Jackie Ogden, Ph.D.: Originally posted on the Disney Parks Blog
Latest posts by Jennifer (see all)
- Disney Cruise Vacation Tips: Navigating Your First Cruise - May 17, 2018
- Disney Armed Forces Salute Discount: Save Up To 40% Off - May 3, 2018
- 7 Reasons Why You Should Spend Your Spring at Universal Orlando Resort - April 26, 2018
Sign up for my mailing list and get a FREE eBook
5 Steps to Book your Disney World Vacation9