Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort completes largest redesign in the resort’s history
The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort has completed the largest transformation in the resort’s history: a $140 million, three-year project which included a redesign of all guest rooms, complete transformation of the Dolphin Resort lobby and renovation of all meeting space.
“This is both a huge accomplishment for our team and a significant moment for our guests,” said Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort General Manager Fred Sawyers. “With the transformation now complete, our guests can enjoy a stylish new look, new amenities, the latest in technology, an operation with more than a quarter-century of excellence in serving guests and a prime location at Walt Disney World Resort, all in one property.”
The completion of the project also means the resort returns to operating at full capacity just in time for the openings of Toy Story Land (2018) and Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge (2019) at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, which is within walking distance of the resort.
The resort celebrated the milestone with a special ceremony on Thursday.
Overall, the redesign included:
- All 2,267 guest rooms were completely transformed to a new look which reflects the resort’s water-themed architecture. Noted interior design and architecture firm Garcia Stromberg/GS4 Studios designed the rooms, drawing inspiration from the resort’s original designer, the renowned late Michael Graves. The new rooms offer guests a relaxing oasis featuring hues of white, blue and gray, sleek multi-functional furniture and all new bathrooms featuring vanities with backlit mirrors on iridescent glass tiles
- Technology upgrades include the addition of more outlets and USB ports for charging devices and new high-definition TVs. The resort will also soon introduce new interactive TV software, allowing guests the ability to check out from their room and cast their own video streaming services from their personal tablets and mobile devices to their in-room TV
- The new Dolphin Resort lobby, designed by ICRAVE, features a contemporary look with a new geometric ceiling, enhanced lighting and more than double the amount of guest seating. The centerpiece of the new lobby is a grand chandelier stretching 20 feet from the ceiling with nearly 1,000 strands and about 10,000 individual crystals suspended above the Dolphin fountain
- For the first time since its opening, the resort has built a completely new dining venue. Located in the Dolphin lobby, fuel offers high-quality quick service and grab-and-go food and drink options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast options include pastries from world-champion pastry chef Laurent Branlard, muffins, breakfast sandwiches and wraps and a variety of coffee, tea and espresso options. Lunch and dinner options include sandwiches and salads. Those with a sweet tooth will find Branlard’s signature desserts and chocolates as well as frozen yogurt and a wide assortment of candy
- Phins, a new bar centrally located in the Dolphin lobby and seating up to 150 guests, offers wines, beers and cocktails along with appetizers perfect for sharing. Signature offerings include the resort’s own craft brew Phins & Feathers, wine on tap and creative cocktails. On Sunday mornings, Phins offers brunch-themed beverages including a variety of bloody marys and sparkling options
- Coming soon will be new private poolside cabanas furnished with lounge seating, tables, fans, refrigerators and television for rental. Each cabana will include full food and beverage service
- A new 2,800-square-foot meeting and event space, Lake View, offers scenic outdoor views of the resort’s private lake and picturesque Dolphin Resort
- All of the resort’s 332,000 square feet of meeting space has been transformed with an updated appearance
- New technology includes electronic reader boards throughout the meeting space and the latest in high-density Wi-Fi offering high-speed, uninterrupted internet to groups as large as 15,000 people
Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort Redesign By the Numbers:
- $140 million – cost in dollars of the entire project
- 3 – length in years of the project
- 6 – phases of room renovations to keep the resort open to guests throughout the project
- 2 – new food & beverage venues introduced: the grab-and-go Fuel and bar Phins
- 2,267 – number of guest rooms redesigned and upgraded
- 86 – number of meeting rooms redesigned or added
- 9,890 – total number of individual crystals in new Dolphin lobby chandelier
- 6 – number of new pool cabanas at the resort
About the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort
In the heart of the Walt Disney World Resort, the award-winning Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort resides amongst the greatest theme parks and attractions in Central Florida. The resort recently completed a $140 million transformation, the largest in its history. It is located between Epcotand Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and nearby Disney’s Animal KingdomTheme Park and Magic Kingdom Park. Guests can discover 18 world-class restaurants and lounges, sophisticated guest rooms with Westin Heavenly Beds and the luxurious Mandara Spa. The resort features five pools, two health clubs, tennis, nearby golf, complimentary transportation throughout the Walt Disney World Resort, the extended park hours benefit, where each day, one of the four Walt Disney World Theme Parks is open extra time for guests to enjoy select attractions (Valid Theme Park admission and Resort ID required) and Disney FastPass+ service, where guests can reserve up to 3 select theme park experiences up to 60 days in advance of their visit.
Latest posts by Jennifer (see all)
- Just Released! WALT DISNEY WORLD Free Dining Offer - April 24, 2018
- Get Ready to Play Big and Save Up to 25% on Rooms at Select Disney Resort Hotels - April 24, 2018
- Behind the Design: Universal’s Aventura Hotel Guest Rooms - April 9, 2018
Sign up for my mailing list and get a FREE eBook
5 Steps to Book your Disney World Vacation9