Last night, a giant Mike Wazowski from the upcoming Disney●Pixar film “Monsters University” helped announce our first-ever three-park, all-night party at Disney Parks on Memorial Day Weekend, the traditional start of the family travel season. Eight projectors were used to transform the huge sphere of Spaceship Earth into the beloved character for the show at Epcot. Today, we have a behind-the-scenes look at how the teams made it happen.
The same artists who created Mike Wazowski for the upcoming Disney●Pixar film also created the animation for our Monstrous Summer announcement at Epcot. “You have all of these great partners working together for this one moment and it’s never happened before,” said Mike Roddy, senior show writer and director for Walt Disney Creative Entertainment. “What you’re seeing is really the first time we’ve done something like this.”
If you missed the announcement, the three-park all-night party is happening at Magic Kingdom Park in Florida and Disneyland park and Disney California Adventure park in California. The parks will stay open from 6 a.m., May 24 to 6 a.m., May 25, 2013, local time.
- In Florida, Magic Kingdom Park will feature a “Monsters University” theme where Mike and Sulley will be the Grand Marshals of the “Celebrate a Dream Come True” day parade and make appearances in Tomorrowland. There will be extra entertainment throughout the day and night, including characters in their pajamas in Town Square during the late night and early morning, and late-night dance parties in and around the courtyard of Cinderella Castle.
- In California, you’ll be able to party the night away at both parks with special entertainment including: a “Monsters University” “TLT Monstrous” Dance Club and Star Wars characters in Tomorrowland and late-night Character Pajama Party in Mickey’s Toontown at Disneyland park. The new Fantasy Faire Royal Theatre at Disneyland park will become a Royal Dance Hall late at night with a live band and dancing; and guests at Disney California Adventure park will find Monstrous photo opportunities with new “Monsters University” “dorms” in Hollywood Land and a new “Monsters University” float leading the Pixar Play Parade.
All three parks will feature limited-edition specialty merchandise and food and beverage offerings, plus other surprises throughout the entire day. Keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog and the Monstrous Summer site for more details in coming weeks.
Video: Spaceship Earth Transforms from Disney Parks Icon to Disney●Pixar ‘Eye-Con’ by Thomas Smith: Originally posted on the Disney Parks Blog
Latest posts by Jennifer (see all)
- All-New Nighttime Fireworks Spectacular to Replace ‘IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth’ as Part of the Transformation of Epcot - September 17, 2018
- 8 Cool Things You Can Do with Your Phone at Walt Disney World - July 25, 2018
- Westgate Resorts brings first upscale resort to Cocoa Beach - July 13, 2018
Sign up for my mailing list and get a FREE eBook
5 Steps to Book your Disney World Vacation9