What’s New This Week?
Walt Disney World Theme Parks
Magic Kingdom Park
New! Disney After Hours Events Are Back: Disney After Hours, a special, ticketed event at Magic Kingdom Park, takes place on select nights throughout January, February, and March. The first event took place Friday, Jan. 20. This special, ticketed event at Magic Kingdom Park enables Guests to maximize their time in the park with little to no wait for popular attractions and character greetings. Popcorn, ice cream novelties, and bottled beverages are also included at no extra charge during the three-hour event. Admission to Disney After Hours can be purchased for $119 per adult or child (tax not included) and $89 per Annual Passholder/Disney Vacation Member adult or child (tax not included). Event Dates are Jan. 20 and 27… 9 p.m.-12 a.m.; Feb. 2, 9 and 16… 8-11 p.m.; March 2 and 9… 9 p.m. -12 a.m.
New! New Breakfast Offerings at Magic Kingdom: With the new park opening procedure, there’s more time for enjoying breakfast in the park. New menu options give you even more choices. Casey’s Corner will be serving muffins, bagels and a croissant donut. Those searching for a more savory, brunch-like option will enjoy corn dog nuggets and the hash brown dog. Also on Main Street U.S.A., Plaza Ice Cream Parlor will serve Mickey waffles, Kelloggs cereal and donuts. For a sweet twist on breakfast, try the donut sundae, a donut topped with your favorite flavor of hand-scooped Edy’s ice cream, hot fudge, apple, whipped cream, peanut butter chips, chocolate chips and of course, a cherry. Sleepy Hollow has been serving breakfast for some time, including hot, freshly-made waffle topped with strawberries and whipped cream, the fruit and chocolate-hazelnut waffle and now a new egg, ham and tomato waffle sandwich.
New! NFL Pro Bowl Pre-Parade on Jan 27: Magic Kingdom Park will host NFL Pro Bowl star athletes on Jan 27 during celebratory pre-parade events.
New! Matboukha Groove Appearing in Morocco: Presenting a unique fusion of Moroccan,
Mediterranean, Latin and World music, Matboukha Groove debuted on the Morocco stage this week for a limited engagement. Guests will enjoy Moroccan percussion, Armenian duduk, Arabic and Mediterranean melody, Latin rhythms, and virtuoso music improvisation performed by artists with phenomenal credits, including Grammy and international awards.
Reminder! Inaugural Epcot International Festival of the Arts Under Way: Running each FridayMonday through Feb. 20, this celebration of the visual, performing and culinary arts is a global masterpiece! Here are some Festival highlights:
- Odyssey Festival Showplace, open 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. each weekend, will feature inventive food, beverages, gallery exhibits, merchandise and interactive Guest experiences. Daily seminars will give Guests the opportunity to learn from speakers of various artistic applications who will offer helpful hints, tricks of the trade and the opportunity to understand the basics of their art.
- Food Studios located around World Showcase will offer culinary creations cooked up by our own Disney chefs. From abstract and de-constructed masterpieces to edible cookie artist palettes, these art-inspired offerings are a treat for the eye and the palate.
- Interactive visual fun throughout World Showcase includes immersive photo stops where Guests can strike a pose in some of the world’s most famous paintings and chalk artists creating masterpieces before your eyes. Guests can explore art galleries throughout six of World Showcase’s pavilions or join in Figment’s Brush with the Masters, an artful scavenger hunt for the whole family.
- Disney on Broadway stars will take center stage at America Gardens Theatre for three shows each night of the festival. Different pairings of phenomenal Broadway artists will perform songs from some of Disney on Broadway’s award-winning shows.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Reminder! Star Wars: Galactic Nights Special Event: Star Wars: Galactic Nights, a new Hollywoodinspired special event will debut at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on April 14. Come dressed as your favorite character and celebrate forty years of Star Wars milestones. Park access and activities will be limited to Star Wars: Galactic Nights event ticket holders only. Event Details:
- Rebel Base Activities – The Rebel Base will serve as the event hub with multiple events, hosted shows, Star Wars dance parties and more taking place in the center of the park.
- Watch “Inside the Saga: Celebrity Chat Show” – Catch a celebrity chat show in Epic Theater to learn more about the making of Star Wars films.
- Can’t miss Star Wars photo ops – Don your Star Wars finest (see costume guidelines) and enjoy iconic Star Wars backdrops, including Han Solo cast in carbonite, Jabba the Hutt’s Palace, the Hoth Wampa Cave and more.
- Galactic Nights Stars in Cars Motorcade – This procession will welcome in Star Wars celebrities down Hollywood Blvd.
- Imperial March & March of the First Order – Get your cameras ready for the arrival of the dark side. Darth Vader will lead a battalion of stormtroopers on a dramatic march down Hollywood Blvd to the Event Stage. Captain Phasma will also lead a unit of First Order stormtroopers through the park, pausing to give a demonstration of power and strength.
- Seize the Saga Interactive Scavenger Hunt – Event Guests are challenged to collect Star Wars themed pieces at the photo backdrops throughout the park, revealing a surprise when all items have been collected.
- “Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away” – Watch high-energy clips of the best moments from the film saga juxtaposed with character moments on stage, featuring Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Kylo Ren and more.
- “Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular” – The skies will come alive with the power of the Force, as the park’s popular Star Wars-themed nighttime spectacular lights up the night.
Other popular attractions will be open, including Star Wars Launch Bay. Additional offerings will include the chance to experience Star Tours-The Adventures Continue attraction, AWR Trooper sightings, roaming droids, Star Wars-themed F&B, special merchandise and much more. The event will be held at the park from 7 p.m.-midnight. The Star Wars: Galactic Nights ticket costs $129 plus tax for adults and $124 plus tax for children ages 9 and under. Tickets are extremely limited.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
New! Kali River Rapids Unavailable Through Mid-February: Kali River Rapids will be temporarily unavailable due to refurbishment Jan. 3 through mid-February.
Walt Disney World Resort Hotels
New! ‘Brunch With a Twist’ Feb. 11 at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa: “Brunch With a Twist” debuted as part of the 2016 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival, and now the popular Saturday event is back – at noon Feb. 11, hosted by Cítricos and featuring the award-winning chefs at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. At this event, Guests join some of Disney’s top chefs for the five-star, fivecourse brunch created by chefs representing Victoria & Albert’s, Cítricos, Narcoossee’s, Grand Floridian Cafe and the Grand Floridian Bakery. Cost is $169 plus tax (gratuity and valet included). For reservations and to pre-pay, call 407-939-3463. Next Brunch With a Twist (with another fabulous menu) is already on the calendar for noon May 6.
Walt Disney World Resort – General
New! Characters in Flight Reopens at Disney Springs: The Characters in Flight balloon has been outfitted with a fresh design that complements the transformed Disney Springs area. The new balloon style was inspired by the springs and the element of water soothing blues and a gentle scrolling pattern. The flight experience has not changed. Adult pricing is $20 per person and children (ages 3-8) are $15 each. Tip: visit before 10:00 a.m. and tickets are only $10 per person, regardless of age. The location opens daily at 8:30 a.m., weather permitting, and wait times are typically shorter earlier in the day.
New! New Beverage Menu Revealed for Paddlefish at Disney Springs: When Fulton’s Crab House reopens, it will be known as Paddlefish. The new name will be reflected in the bow-to-stern transformation of the iconic riverboat, which will also include a new third-floor deck for late-night tastes and sips. The beverage menu will be revamped with rare and amazing wines and spirits as well as familiar classics. Some of their wine varietals may be new to some folks. And on the cocktail list, you’ll find concoctions that you won’t find anywhere else in Disney Springs. One twist on a classic cocktail is a “man’s sangria” with bourbon, tempranillo [wine] and a French peach liqueur that takes it over the top.The signature drink is The Lily Spritz, an homage to The Empress Lily, the original restaurant located where Paddlefish will be. It’s a simple cocktail with complexity and balance, made with cava, rosé, fresh strawberry and a splash of seltzer. Also, Paddlefish will feature 175 wines, about 24 by the glass. There will be six craft beers on draft with a focus on local beers.
Closures and Refurbishments
Latest posts by Jennifer (see all)
- 4-Park Magic Tickets Coming to Walt Disney World Resort in the New Year - December 18, 2018
- All-New Nighttime Fireworks Spectacular to Replace ‘IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth’ as Part of the Transformation of Epcot - September 17, 2018
- 8 Cool Things You Can Do with Your Phone at Walt Disney World - July 25, 2018
Sign up for my mailing list and get a FREE eBook
5 Steps to Book your Disney World Vacation9